Married in Japan: How to Get Marriage Certificate Faster

Wedding vector created by artmonkey –

We successfully got married in Japan!

Now the next step is getting our Marriage Certificate from Philippine Statistics Authority (previously known as NSO).

This document is very important in your future travels to Japan. It makes it easier in getting another Tourist Visa.

*Read my previous article on how to Get married in Japan and Report your marriage at the Philippine Embassy.

What happens after you report your marriage at the Consulate?

After you report your marriage at the Philippine Embassy in Japan, they will send* your Report of Marriage Certificate (ROM) to the Consular Records Division of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)- Manila. In turn, it will be DFA-Manila who will forward this copy to Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)**.

  • *The regular schedule of transmission of civil registry documents, i.e. birth, marriage, and death certificates, from the Philippine Embassies/Consular Offices and DFA Manila to PSA, is quarterly, though the schedule may be changed as appropriate from the office of origin.
  • **You may request for the birth, marriage or death certificate, 2 months after the record is received by the PSA.

When can you get your Marriage Certificate after reporting your Marriage in Japan?

The whole process of sending your documents from Japan to DFA-Manila and then to PSA usually takes about 6 months to 1 year, according to one of the staff at the Phil. Embassy.

Without any follow-up, you’d have to wait that long before you can get your Marriage Certificate from any PSA office.


How to get the Marriage Certificate faster?

We were able to get our Marriage Certificate after 5 months.

Here’s what we did.

1. We e-mailed the Civil Registration Section of the Tokyo Phil. Embassy:

-In the email, we mentioned we wanted to get our ROM (marriage cert.) from PSA as soon as possible.

-We provided both our Full Names (maiden name for wife) , Date of Birth, Date of Marriage, and Date of Registration.

~The Civil Registration Section replied and provided us with a DISPATCH NUMBER of our ROM. They then instructed us to coordinate with DFA-manila using this dispatch number.

2. Next, we e-mailed the Consular Records Division of DFA-Manila:

-We informed them in the email that we wanted to get our ROM asap and provided the Dispatch number that we got from the Phil. Embassy.

-Again, we provided both our Full Names (maiden name for wife) , Date of Birth, Date of Marriage, and Date of Registration.

        ~DFA-Manila should reply with your ROM’s

    1. Reference No.
    2. Dispatch No.
    3. Transmital date

3. Went to PSA office (in Colon street, Cebu)

-We first approached the last window at the office (window 11) and showed them the printed e-mail from DFA-Manila with our Dispatch no., Reference no., and Transmital/Dispatch date.

-When they confirmed that we can get it, we proceeded in filling up the PINK form for Requesting a marriage certificate; got a priority number; and paid at the cashier.

~The cashier will get the printed e-mail from DFA together with the pink form

4. Successfully obtained our Marriage Certificate!



*Married in June 2018 and got the Marriage Certificate on November 2018.

You can probably can get it sooner than 5 months. In our case, I waited 3 months before trying at the PSA office. When I couldn’t get it at that time, It was then that I e-mailed the following offices. But it was a month after before I could go to PSA office because of personal reasons. That’s why it took 5 months total.

I hope this helps you!

If you have any questions, feel free to comment.

How to Get Married in Japan: Filipino-Japanese couple

Flower photo created by freepik –


If you are a Philippine passport holder who wants to get married in Japan with a Japanese passport holder, then I hope this can help you.

After doing some research, I decided that it would be easier if my Japanese Fiance and I would just get married in Japan. I basically just wanted to avoid 2 things:

  1. the long time it usually takes just to get or process any paper work here the Philippines and
  2. having to pay unnecessary fees.

Fortunately, we successfully got married on June 2018 in Japan.

It took about 5 weeks to get everything done. And using a 30 days Tourist Visa was fine.

Whatever reason you may have to want to get married in the land of the rising sun, all I can tell you is that it is certainly doable.

To get married in Japan, I have broken down the whole process into 3 steps.

  1. Get your Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage certification (LCCM) from the Philippine Embassy
  2. Get Married
  3. Report your Marriage back to the Philippine Embassy

Looks easy right? Well it is, you just need to be prepared with ALL of  your documents.

How To Get Married in Japan

Step I: Get an LCCM certificate

LCCM stands for Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. When you get this document, you will also be receiving an Affidavit of Civil Status. You need both these documents to prove that you are eligible to get married to a foreign national.

You can get this document from 5 places in Japan.

  • the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo or;
  • the Philippine Consulate offices in Osaka-Kobe, Sapporo, Nagoya, or Okinawa.

*We were staying in Saitama, so our nearest option was the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo.

*Please note that the Phil. Embassy in Tokyo closes at 3 p.m.

My Requirements as a Single Filipino:

  1. Duly accomplished LCCM application form
  2. Valid passport – Original and one (1) copy
  3. Residence Card or Visa in Japan (Tourist Visa is ok) – Original and one (1) copy
  4. PSA issued Birth Certificate – Original and one (1) copy
  5. DFA authenticated (Red ribbon) PSA issued Birth Certificate – Original and one (1) copy
  6. PSA issued Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) – Original and one (1) copy
  7. DFA authenticated (Red ribbon) PSA issued Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) – Original and one (1) copy
  8. Three (3) passport-sized photos

*Please note that there are Additional Requirements for Single Filipinos between 18-25 years old; a Divorced Filipino; a Filipino whose former marriage was Annulled in the Philippines; and a Widowed Filipino. Please check the Tokyo embassy website for more info:

Requirements for the Japanese Fiancé:

  1. Family Registry (Koseki Tohon), must be valid for three (3) months – Original and one (1) copy
  2. Kaisei Gen Koseki or Joseki Tohon – If the koseki tohon does not indicate previous record of marriage, divorce and death of former spouse
  3. Valid Passport or any valid ID with picture – Original and one (1) copy
  4. Three (3) Passport-sized photos
  5. Letter pack plus (red) (if you wish your documents to be mailed through the Post Office)


What to do in the Embassy:

  1. Get the LCCM application form from the guard at the entrance. Ask also which window you need to go to.
    *You can download the form from the embassy website:
  2. Fill up the form complete with both your pictures. Ready all your documents together.
  3. Go the appropriate window and pass your application form with your documents.
  4. They will give you an invoice.
  5. Pay at the cashier. ( 9,750 yen)
  6. Go back to the first window to show your receipt.
  7. Make sure you label your Letter Pack Plus. We put in my fiance’s address. Wait for additional instructions, if there’s any.


  1. The Tokyo Philippine Embassy Consular Service is open from Monday – Friday at 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
  2. Processed documents may either be picked up at the Embassy or mailed through the Post Office
  3. The Embassy may require additional documents if deemed necessary
  4. Applicable fees depend on each particular case.
  5. Processing period is 10 working days.

*Our documents arrived exactly after 10 business working days through the post.


Click on the next page if you want to know about Step II and Step III.

Scroll to top